Mold Cleanup Post-Hurricane
Make cleanup safety — especially mold cleanup — part of your hurricane season preparedness planning. Some jobs inside and around the outside of your home can be taken care of by yourself (or with the help of friends and family). Other cleanup jobs, such as mold remediation, need professionals like Deluxe Waterproofing.
After a hurricane or tropical storm strikes, there are several hazards that you will need to be aware of and avoid. A shortlist of these dangers during hurricane recovery are:
- Portable or fixed residential standby generator exhaust. The fumes from generators are toxic. Portable and mobile generators should always be placed far away from openings to your home (doors, windows, and vents).
- Oil, chemical, or other hazardous substance releases or spills. Strong winds, gusts, flying debris, and floodwaters will cause containers to fall over, be knocked around, and for caps and lids to come loose. Avoid any suspected spills and contamination and report these to the National Response Center toll-free at 1-800-424-8802. To report a suspected environmental violation, visit the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) reporting page on their site.
- Flood water is a leading source of disease. It’s likely to be contaminated by raw sewage or other substances as a result of spills, leaks, and other polluting releases. Limit the amount of contact with floodwater as much as possible.
- Mold is a serious health risk and can cause severe respiratory problems. Post-hurricane cleanup and remediation will require a professional service to ensure that the inside of your home or business is dry and that all traces of standing water have been removed. Additionally, any waterlogged items that have been wet for over one to two days need to be removed and disposed of properly.
The experts at Deluxe Waterproofing have seventy years of experience in providing Miami-Dade, Broward, and the Palm Beaches with the most comprehensive mold removal service available. Using a time-tested eight-step process, Deluxe Waterproofing:
- Identifies the mold and its source;
- Locates and contains the mold;
- Provides a damage assessment;
- Captures and filters the spores from the breathable air;
- Disposes of contaminated porous materials;
- Cleans and sanitizes the affected areas;
- Repairs and reconstructs mold damaged areas; and
- Removes the mold with scientifically proven antimicrobial and antifungal treatments.
To learn more about how Deluxe Waterproofing can help your home or business recover from mold contamination after a hurricane strikes, call 954-623-3777 or reach out using our easy-to-use contact form.